Welcome

I decided to write this blog because my septoplasty and turbinate reduction surgery, performed in Aug 2012, left me with Empty Nose Syndrome (ENS). I'm blogging this to inform folks of this surgery before they have it performed, to tell my story, and help others out there suffering from ENS.

There are always possible complications with surgery from minor annoyances to life debilitating symptoms. Make no mistake, ENS is a possible outcome post nose surgery; however I believe it is rare occurrence. There is currently no sound way to remediate ENS, only stave off symptoms for a while.

In my opinion, someone should only have this type of surgery if there is/was a trauma to their nose that left a noticeable problem that is not remedied with simple solutions.

Monday, January 8, 2018

Subsequent Surgery

I decided to have surgery on my nose... again. This time with another doctor who is seems much more competent and sensible than my first surgeon - his name is Dr. Lupa. I was writing to him via email, finally to my breaking point, explaining that I cannot believe he doesn't see that I have Empty Nose Syndrome, or at lease showing symptoms of such. I had sent him about 25 emails up to this point ranging from general questions to desperate sleep deprived rants. I was fed up, I cannot live my life with this syndrome and I needed him to help me fix this; it's the worst feeling when people don't believe you or belittle your problems.

Up to this point, I had submitted 5 pages and x-rays to Kaiser to request them to fix this, outside the knowledge of my current doctor. To be either shipped to Ohio to see Dr. Steven Houser or send me to someone who understands ENS more immediately than some of the less specialized doctors at Kaiser. 
Rant Time - I was referred to a doctor, at first because I was not satisfied with my current doctor, who was a complete idiot. His name was Doctor, Dr. Doctor. Honestly, he said that he had never heard to nasal implants. He is an Ear. Nose. and. Throat. Doctor... That's his specialty. Being a doctor is a lifetime dedication, well at least it should be. 
This request was obviously denied, was not surprising. So I started email my current doctor more and more, because I needed relief. After the emailed him, saying I cannot take these symptoms any longer, he suggested that I have a septoplasty to try to reduce the amount of air flow on the left side. I had this surgery on December 23 2014 with Dr. Lupa. The plan was to move my septum over and to raise up my turbinate flap at my left IT. I did not have any reduction at this time as I really wanted to take small steps.

It did work.

I had mild improvement in my symptoms and I did not need to continue to place cotton in my nose every day! Recovery was not as difficult as my first surgery. But I did develop a small nose divot on my left distal, close to midline, nose. Small price to pay.  

No comments:

Post a Comment